RealMoney: Apple’s iPod Halo Effect ‘quite profound,’ Macs taking good market share from Wintel

“Apple increasingly looks like it is as good a short-term trade here as it is a long-term investment… pretty much every indicator and check that I can find confirms that the magnitude of the halo effect is quite profound, and that any impact that the [Intel] processor transition is going to have won’t affect that magnitude except on the extreme fringes. Indeed, I think Apple has cooked itself up a heckuva strong quarter yet again, and that it’s going to sail past the Street’s estimates and raise guidance going forward.” Cody Willard writes for

“Several brokers and independent research shops have reported that field checks indicate Apple is taking some good market share from the (heretofore) Wintel monopoly. Most recently, on Wednesday, research outfit NPD released its data for retail and distribution PC sales in May, and reported that Apple’s unit sales were up 79% year over year for May,” Willard writes. “While NPD’s research doesn’t include sales from Dell (the PC leader sells only direct to end users and doesn’t sell through retail and distribution channels), it’s crystal clear that Apple is taking all kinds of market share from everyone else. A simple glance at’s computer best-seller page further confirms the Apple computer boom. That page is updated hourly, and you can check back there pretty much anytime, and Apple is going to be at least seven out of the top 10 sellers.”

Full article here.

Related MacDailyNews articles:
CSFB: Apple Computer ‘the big winner’ in May retail PC sales – June 23, 2005


  1. this is only an indicator that people are holding out for Longhorn.

    .NET will transform the way all business is done throughout the world. The sun will shine brighter, it will reverse the effects of global warming and lower the trade deficit.

    Plus, this is the time of year that Windows users take vacations while all the Mac geeks are still working.

    Do the math.

  2. Yawning again…’cos sputniks back!

    The real world math(s) says Apple is set to take a 20% marketshare by Q3 2006. Then Longhorn will arrive on the scene and be immediately trashed again by hackers at which point the other 80% will go straight down to their nearest Applestore (which they already visited twice before to buy their iPods…).
    At which point sputnik will look like this…
    ” width=”19″ height=”19″ alt=”big surprise” style=”border:0;” />

  3. Laughing at SPUTNIK!! ” width=”19″ height=”19″ alt=”LOL” style=”border:0;” />

    Either you are pulling everyone’s leg with your absurd commentaries, or you are one of the most clueless Windows apologists on the planet.

    That is saying a lot!

  4. I like the sound of that. MS’s {days} are numbered.

    And lay off poor Sputnik… it’s parody ” width=”19″ height=”19″ alt=”smile” style=”border:0;” />

Reader Feedback

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.