“Six months ago, Pleasanton High became the only school in the San Antonio area to give all its students a wireless laptop computer. The school board could vote today, however, to take them away. Frank Persyn, vice president of the school board, has proposed reconsidering the district’s four-year contract with Apple. District officials say they aren’t sure why,” Diana Reinhart reports for San Antonio Express-News. “Pleasanton’s $2.2 million contract with Apple allows the district to pay for the wireless laptops over four years. The contract includes laptops for the high school’s teachers and 950 students, training for staff, and supporting equipment such as printers and projectors.”
“‘I wasn’t consulted,’ Superintendent Alton Fields said. ‘I haven’t been told why it was put on (the agenda) or what their intent is.’ What’s clear, however, is that the board’s membership has changed considerably since the wireless project was approved in September by a 5-2 vote. Back then, the majority of the board wanted the high school to go wireless, but the current board, which was elected in May, appears less enthusiastic about the advance,” Reinhart reports.
“Persyn could not be reached for comment Monday. But as one of the two members who voted against the project last year, there is speculation he may now have the support he needs to kill the wireless venture. Two board members who supported the laptops were defeated in the May election, and another resigned. Today’s board meeting will be the first for the new members,” Reinhart reports.
Full article here.
MacDailyNews Take: Something unpleasant going down in Pleasanton? We’ll keep an eye on this one. It’ll be interesting to see if the board is anti-computer or anti-Apple; we’ll know for sure if they sign a contract in the future with, say, Dell.