“Sometimes Windows PC users just don’t get it about Apple Computer. If only this brave but crazy company would switch its marvellous software to their platform – thereby saving them the expense of buying a Mac – the world would be a better place, they believe,” David Frith reports for AustralianIT.
“The theme was taken up at a late-night drink-and-discussion session among a group of Aussie journalists attending the recent Macworld Expo in San Francisco,” Frith reports. “A Windows-oriented PC magazine editor, plainly impressed by the latest iLife suite of ‘digital lifestyle’ software unveiled by Apple founder and chief executive Steve Jobs earlier in the day, wanted to know – somewhat truculently – why Apple doesn’t sell a Windows version. ‘It’s great software. Wonderful software,’ he trilled. ‘But, hell, it’s only being offered to 5 per cent of the market. Why can’t Apple see that they’d be much better off selling it to the other 95 per cent as well? I’d buy it tomorrow.'”
“The same theme was taken up recently in Motley Fool, a US investment advice website. Apple should put iLife on Windows pronto, said the Fool, because it would ‘seed ground for growing market share with all kinds of new digital gadgets, such as an iPod movie player, or a digital hub for wirelessly connecting Macs and PCs with stereos and televisions, or an online iMovie store,'” Frith reports.
“Sorry Windows folk: it just won’t happen, even though one of the five software applications that make up iLife – the iTunes music finder and player – is available for both Mac and Windows. Apple applications marketing vice-president Rob Schouten explained why the day after the late-night session,” Frith reports. ‘The magic of the Macintosh is in its software – it’s our major differentiator from the Windows experience. So there will be no Windows version of iLife,’ he said… So, sorry, Windows users – if you want to enjoy the full digital lifestyle, Macintosh-style, you’ll just have to buy a Mac.”
Full article here.
Related MacDailyNews articles:
AP: Apple’s iLife ’04 ‘could even persuade some longtime Windows users to relent and buy a Mac’ – February 05, 2004
Paul Thurrott reviews Apple iLife ’04; calls for ‘iLife for Windows’ – February 04, 2004
The Motley Fool: Apple iLife software suite for Windows? – February 04, 2004