Apple shipments surge 25 percent overall, notebook shipments jump 40 per cent in UK

“Apple delivered 25 per cent growth in the UK in Q4 2003. ‘Apple had quite a successful quarter in the UK in Q4, with shipments growing 25 per cent year-on-year overall,’ said research analyst Ian Gibbs. ‘Ten per cent year-on-year growth was seen in desktop shipments and 50 per cent in notebooks,’ he added. ‘The vendor experienced growth in both the consumer and the commercial markets,'” Jonny Evans reports for Macworld UK.

“IDC released figured detailing fourth quarter 2003 activity in the UK PC market February 3. These show the market expanded 16.9 per cent year-on-year in the quarter. Good results were driven by strong consumer sales over Christmas, along with ‘further growth in commercial IT expenditure and an uplift in public sector activity,’ IDC said. Across vendors, notebooks grew 28.2 per cent year-on-year while desktops grew 11.6 per cent. Overall growth in the UK market for 2003 was 13.7 per cent in comparison with the preceeding year. Notebooks (30 per cent growth for the full year) helped drive growth,” Evans reports. “Apple’s notebook shipments grew 40 per cent, Gibbs told Macworld… The company now holds 2.3 per cent of the UK market.”

Full article here.

16 Comments

  1. This isn’t exactly on topic, but I had a flash yesterday. Most have seen the tv ad that shows a black woman at a workstation opening an email that causes a virus to instantly run throughout her office. The tagline is “Want to get away?” The ad is for some travel company, obviously very effective since I can’t remember which.

    ANYWAY that would make a hell of an Apple ad wouldn’t it? Tweak the end of it, or have an A/B comparison with the same goofy email being opened on a mac network.

    Why don’t we see apple ads like this, promoting the security of the mac os? I think it would do a lot better job of getting the basic idea across than what I am seeing now.

    Steve, I want to be paid in small bills.

  2. Not surprised at all. The amount of Macs you see being loaded into cars on Tottenham Court Road is increasing steadily, and I am no longer the only PowerBook user in the airline lounges when I fly anywhere. That 2.3% has come from virtually nothing three or four years ago. Apple has momentum here, and could get to 5% easily in the next couple of years.

    I should also point out that I know a few people who have bought PowerBooks whilst in the US because of the current exchange rate. Might not add much to the total, but it still means a few more Mac users running around the UK.

  3. Apple is starting to gain there share of the market back. Apple can credit this to OSX which is giving them better support with Unix servers and even Windows servers and better security against viruses.

  4. With all that uplifted economic activity in the UK maybe they’ll finally get dental care. ” width=”19″ height=”19″ alt=”smile” style=”border:0;” />

  5. I have to say that if it was OS-9 versus XP at this point, I may have bought a PC as my main machine by now. OS-X is the fundamental reason for me staying with Apple.

  6. I don’t understand OS 9 bashing. I’m still mainly in 9.1, and it beats the hell out of ANY version of Windows (I’ve experienced them all). I sure as hell wouldn’t want to have to ask MS’s permission to install or move a program, that is just insane! Not to mention viruses. The only thing that gives me any problems at all is IE, and that’s rarely.

    There are things that can’t be done (yet) in OS X, like work with certain printers and scanners, and organizing files and folders is much easier in 9. Graphics places can’t use Panther at all, as it broke ColorSync support.

    I say this after putting Jaguar 10.2.8 on a second computer two months ago, and after a month I pretty much abandoned it in favor of good old 9.1, where I get all my work done. If Panther gets worked out, especially ColorSync and printer/scanner support issues, that will be the beginning of the OS X era as far as I’m concerned. To prefer XP over OS 9 is just crazy. That’s like preferring a 2002 Buick over a 1998 BMW.

  7. Notebook surge is natural. Notebooks are powerful enough and (mostly) cheap enough to replace desktops now. It saves lots of space, especially in homes. One shouldn’t be surprised that it is eating desktop shares.

    If only we could get PB G5…

  8. “With all that uplifted economic activity in the UK maybe they’ll finally get dental care. ” width=”19″ height=”19″ alt=”smile” style=”border:0;” />”

    You Americans need more dental care than we do. You all spend your lives stuffing your big, fat faces.

    Sorry, just couldn’t resist ” width=”19″ height=”19″ alt=”grin” style=”border:0;” />

Reader Feedback

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.