A Samsung Galaxy S II Skyrocket smartphone “was sitting in its owner’s pocket when he felt a hot, painful sensation, making him remove the now-smoking device,” Electronista reports.

“Last week, a passenger on an Australian airliner had a similar experience with his iPhone,” Electronista reports. “The Apple incident was attributed to a seldom but well-known occurring problem with lithium-ion batteries, which can overheat and occasionally catch fire. Samsung’s failure may be related and shows that the device isn’t any more resistant to the issue. The failures normally require a significant impact, but both incidents appear to have been caused just through normal use, though both phones had been exposed to high altitudes before the batteries overheated.”

More infer and photos the full article here.

[Thanks to MacDailyNews Reader “krquet” for the heads up.]

Related article:
Apple iPhone 4 reportedly starts smoking on Regional Express airplane after landing in Sydney– November 28, 2011